Wednesday 15 July 2020

Bugler's Beginning


June 1948: As the gangway landed with a jolt on the Tilbury quayside, Gabriel smoothed down his suit and took a deep breath. Everything was grey. So different to Jamaica’s fierce sunshine and loud colours.


The people were grey too. Stevedores scuttling about like ants. Immigration officials lined up to check papers. Curious locals gathered to catch a glimpse of the new arrivals. All in shades of grey.

And there she was, shining like a beacon cutting through a sea fog. Platinum hair and a slash of red lipstick. Gramma would have called her a Jezebel. But she was no wanton hussy. She was classy, powerful, in control.

Like many onboard the Empire Windrush, Gabriel had no-one in Britain. He arrived alone, dreaming of a better life and the chance to play his music beyond the jive joints of home. He was 19, his suit was too big, and the furthest he’d travelled before was the bumpy bus ride to Kingston.

As he stepped out into the street, a hand touched his shoulder.

“Follow me,” she said, leading him to a café where someone called Madge served them stewed tea from an urn.

“My name’s Val,” said the blonde. “And you, my dear Gabriel, are special.”

He started at the sound of his name.

“You don’t know why yet, but it’ll become clear over the years. When the time comes, I’ll call you.”

++++++++++++++++

June 2020:  She stood in the dingy jazz bar he’d haunted for 50 years. Ageless, resplendent in a leather jumpsuit, her hair still long and shockingly pale. The scarlet gash of her lipstick declared she was ready for action.

“Been a long time, Val.”

She looked him up and down. “A VERY long time.

“I said I’d tell you when the time came, didn’t I? Well, the time is now.”


6 comments:

  1. Who wouldn't want to read more, after an opening like that?. So many possibilities . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi My name is Rebecca.i just want to share my experience with the world on how i got my love back and saved my marriage… I was married for 7 years with 4 kids and we lived happily until things started getting ugly and we had a fights and arguments almost every time… it got worse at a point that he filed for divorce… I tried my best to make him change his mind & stay with me cause i loved him with all my heart and didn’t want to loose him but everything just didn’t work out… he moved out of the house and still went ahead to file for divorce… I pleaded and tried everything but still nothing worked. The breakthrough came when someone introduced me to this wonderful, great spell caster Dr Zuma, who eventually helped me out… I have never been a fan of things like this but just decided to try reluctantly cause I was desperate and left with no choice… He did special prayers and cast a love spell on him. Within 24hours he called me and was sorry for all the emotional trauma he had cost me, moved back to the house and we continue to live happily, the kids are happy too and we are expecting our fourth child… I have introduced him to a lot of couples with problems across the world and they have had good news… Just thought I should share my experience cause I strongly believe someone out there needs it… You can contact him on spiritualherbalisthealing@gmail.com whatsapp +15068001647

    ReplyDelete
  3. After being in relationship with Wilson for seven years,he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to someone online and she suggested that I should contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that don’t believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I meant a spell caster called Dr Zuma zuk and I email him, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened, that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him, that was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem and who is different from all the fake ones out there. Anybody could need the help of the spell caster, his email: spiritualherbalisthealing@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +15068001647
    you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or anything. CONTACT HIM NOW FOR SOLUTION TO ALL YOUR PROBLEMS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Q: where dost thou findest THE truth?
    A: not from the L nor the R in this
    feeble, fallible, finite existence:

    I assume you know what a NDEr is:
    millions around the world have
    experienced as I went through.

    'Follow us Uppastairs by honoring
    the Mudda of God if you don'ta do
    nthn else, kapiche??'
    sez the Carnivæl Barker.
    (isnt sHe anti-establishment?)

    ☆ en.gravatar.com/MatteBlk ☆
    Dominus Vobiscum
    (Latin: peace BwU).
    God! Blessa! Youse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...wanna know an awwwsome
    Way to give back to God ALL
    sHe's bestowed upon U.S. ??
    ☆ trmonline.org ☆
    ...the rewards are
    outta-this-world.
    God! Bless! You!

    ReplyDelete
  6. (<- same dude-withe-lood, bro)

    ReplyDelete